This morning we packed up the insulation and followed DJ and Kathy into the field.(Apparently this guy isn't much of a friend- since he eats our pine- but I secretly like that he hangs around anyway.)
We rolled up the white cloth ceiling, and DJ headed up onto the scaffolding, unrolling it down to Kathy and I below.
We each walked around unrolling it along the bottom of the roof line.
Once it was lying open over half of the roof, DJ just pulled the second half up to the center ring, and we finished pulling it down over the remainder of the roof. It was a hot day, and the shade from the sun was welcomed!
Layer one complete, we got to work on folding up the roof insulation in the same manner. We first had to tape it closed, and then turn it inside-out before rolling it in toward the center from both edges to make a pie shape.
This was also threaded through the center ring, and allowed to unroll on its way down to the edge of the roof. Like before, we walked around the outside unrolling it in both directions until it covered half of the roof, and DJ pulled the second half up and over to the other side.
And then there were two layers of the three...
The heaviest piece of the yurt, perhaps, is the top weatherproof roof layer. We first tried tying ropes to it and hoisting it from the ground up to the center ring, but it was quickly apparent that wasn't going to work. So, after folding it into a pie wedge (with the bottom center of the pie set to roll over the door frame with its oval grommets), it took four of us to lift it onto the scaffolding,
up onto the roof,
and then to hold the center in place while the rest rolled down to the door frame.
Because it is so heavy, it pulled our perfectly-placed insulation layer with it. But we decided the best thing was to unroll it first before trying to get the insulation back in place. Truth be told, we didn't have much choice because the insulation would not budge under the weight of the cover, which was too heavy to move or lift. So like before, we unrolled the first half...
And then helped hoist the other side up to the center ring, over the top...
and pulled it down the other side with ropes. It was so fussy and difficult to get it into place, and then moving it just a bit would move the insulation and we'd have to go back and forth until we finally found all layers in the right place. We fastened the roof outer-layer to the door frame using twist locks, and then started on the sides.
We first strung our sidewall insulation panels loosely in place using S-hooks...
and then we stretched the sidewalls into place and attached them to the roof cover.
Our windows consist of three layers: screen attached to the green outer-wall, clear vinyl that velcros in place if we want to 'close' the windows, and a green flap that zips and clips down when we really need to batten down the hatches.
While some of us screwed the sidewalls to the weather board on the bottom, other members of our crew helped to hoist the dome roof up into place (we pulled it up the roof on a tarp using a rope).
It took a few tries, but we finally got it clipped in place and figured out how to attach the screw that enables us to raise and lower it for ventilation.
We moved the inner side wall insulation panels so that they fit the spaces set by the green outer walls, and at long last we were done, thanks to the help of our friends and family! We certainly couldn't have done it without you, and we are so grateful for your help!
So, here's where we will be living, across the sheep pasture in our own little slice of amazing.
We hope you'll come visit!